When Should You Hire a Lawyer for a Car Accident in Florida?
You suffered a car accident in Florida, and now you’re wondering whether you need a personal injury lawyer to handle your car accident claim. Can you negotiate with the insurance company yourself? Will attorney fees eat up too much of your settlement?
Spoiler alert: if you’re injured, you’ll almost certainly need a Florida car accident attorney. Learn from the experienced team at Warner & Fitzmartin about why competent legal representation is so important in nearly all vehicle accident claims.
Why You Likely Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident
When you hire a lawyer, you often walk away with more money in your pocket. It’s as simple as that.
The Insurance Research Council reports that, on average, accident victims who work with an attorney win a settlement that’s 3.5 times higher compared to claimants who choose to self-represent. This means that your payout will almost certainly be larger when you work with a lawyer, even considering the contingency fee of 33.3%-40% that personal injury law firms typically charge.
If you self-represent, the insurance company will likely try to dodge, dispute, or drag out your claim. An insurance adjuster may exploit your lack of professional knowledge and offer a lowball settlement that barely covers your accident-related costs. Without representation, you’re extremely vulnerable when you deal with insurance companies acting in bad faith, especially when you’re recovering from debilitating injuries.
Situations When a Car Accident Lawyer Is Indispensable
At the very least, you should consult an attorney after your accident to find out your options and have a clearer picture of the type of compensation you may expect. Many personal injury law firms, including Warner & Fitzmartin, offer free initial consultations.
Having said that, you absolutely need a Florida car accident attorney if:
- You suffered a severe injury
- You expect your injury to have a long-term impact on your healthcare needs and earning capacity
- You’re dealing with a stressful, grueling recovery process
- An insurer already denied your claim
- An insurer has offered you a low settlement that fails to cover your damages
When a large bodily injury payment is on the table, insurers may use underhanded tactics to protect their interests. You need an attorney to advocate for yours.
When You May Not Need a Lawyer
In some cases, you may not need a car accident attorney. Legal representation may be unnecessary if:
- You suffered no injuries in the car accident
- The potential compensation is so small there’s little point in taking legal action
What a Car Accident Lawyer Can Do for You
Your car accident attorney can:
- Assess your case and let you know your legal options
- Handle the settlement negotiation process from start to finish
- Advocate for your rights throughout the claim process
- Advise you on accepting or rejecting a settlement offer
- Appeal a denied claim if necessary
Warner & Fitzmartin: Fighting for Your Rights After a Car Accident in Florida
Did you sustain injuries in a car accident in Florida? Are you facing high medical bills, reduced or lost earning capacity, and other major losses? Contact Warner & Fitzmartin today and let an experienced Florida car accident attorney navigate your case. To date, our boutique legal team has won millions for clients across the state.
Call (561) 803-0167 or contact us online for a free consultation. You only pay when we win.